Little Skull and Crossbones Crochet Pattern
My co-worker asked me if I could make her a skull and crossbones cuff, and of course I said, “Sure, why not?” I’d never made a skull before, so I thought it would be a fun little challenge. This motif works up really quick, and will make a great applique for just about anything . . . some Peasy Gloves, perhaps? Also, I could barely resist sticking some google eyes on this guy. I think google eyes are for me what glitter is to most other people. I love me some googly-eyes. Enough about me, let’s make some skulls!
Firstly, this pattern will read a little strange, but it will make sense as you go. Second, I didn’t write a pattern for the black cuff part because it’s just rows of single crochet. Third, if you make some skulls, please post them in the Flickr group – especially if they have google eyes!
Okay, grab a 4mm hook and some regular-old-medium-weight yarn. For the skull:
- Ch 15 and join to the first ch, making a ring and being careful to not twist the chain.
- Make a sl st in the 8th ch from your hook. This sl st joins the two sides of your ring, and it will look like an “8″ at this point. The holes of this “8″ will become your eye sockets eventually.
- Make 7 sc in the first eye loop (make them around the chains, not through them). Ch 2 (this will become the nose hole). Make 7 sc in the next eye loop. Join to the first sc with a sl st.
- Ch 1. Sc in the same st as the one you just joined in, and in the next 5 scs. Sl st in the next sc (this is the last sc in the first eye socket). Make 5 dc and one sl st in the ch 2 space. Skip the first sc of the second eye socket.* Sc in the remaining 6 scs of the second eye socket. Join to first sc with sl st. Cut yarn, finish off, weave in your ends. If you want, make some teeth by whip-stitching a strand of yarn through the mouth part of the skull.
* The reason you make the second sl st in the ch 2 spc rather than in the first sc of the second eye socket is this: it eliminates a weird-looking thread hanger-outer in the nose hole.
Let’s make some bones (make 2):
- With same 4mm hook and same kind of yarn you used for the skull, ch 4.
- Sl st in the first ch. Ch 4.
- Sl st in the same st as the last sl st you just made (two bone nubbins made). Ch 14.
- Sl st in the 4th ch from hook. Ch 4.
- Sl st in the same st as the last sl st you just made. Cut yarn, finish off, weave in your ends.
Sew your skull and bones onto anything that needs some instant bad-assery, and you’re done! As usual, please feel free to use this pattern for your own personal enjoyment or for gift giving, but please do not distribute the pattern itself or pass it off as your own. Thanks!