Maria’s Spicy Peanut Slaw
After reading this post by Maria at The Urban Pasture, I had SLAW ON THE MIND. I, too, have fond memories of this slaw (we used to work at the same co-op). And, I lurve anything with peanut sauce. This recipe is an excellent alternative to your run-of-the-mill-mayo-based slaw, and I think it’s healthier, too.
I pretty much followed Maria’s recipe, but with these changes:
- Instead of 6 TB of rice vinegar, I used the juice of half of a lime, 2 TB rice vinegar, and 1 TB of cider vinegar.
- I added more garlic and more Sriracha. Because I am obsessed with garlic and Sriracha. Isn’t Nicky lucky?
- I added lime zest because I was already juicing a lime, so why not?
- I added cilantro. Mmmmm.
- My base was regular green cabbage (the Napa at my local Cub Foods is always ratty), carrots, and red onion. I wanted to add red bell pepper and kale, but my mixing bowl was already too full.
- I was going to chop some peanuts to mix in, but apparently Nicky either ate all the peanuts last night or took them to work. I added sunflower seeds instead.
- Oh, and I used about an inch and a half of fresh ginger.
So, thanks Maria for reminding me of this recipe! Now everyone, go try it out for your next picnic, barbecue, or work lunch (I think this will be excellent in a wrap with mixed greens and a protein).